The Armory is home to the oldest active military unit in continuous service, the First Troop Philadelphia City Cavalry, organized in 1774. Constructed in 1901, the structure serves an active National Guard Armory, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Suffering heavy smoke and water damage following a fire, a multi-phased restoration and improvements effort was developed and executed. Restoration of the ballroom, officer’s quarters, and adjacent spaces were completed first, followed by an office mezzanine addition located within the drill floor.
The original museum space, also damaged during the fire, housed an impressive collection of historic military artifacts highly significant to the organization and our Nation’s history. Restoring the museum space during the final phase, Tevebaugh worked closely with fabricators to develop custom-designed display cases to mimic the original millwork in form, while upgrading them to be conservation-quality enclosures. To mitigate risk of any future damage, the restoration included installation of a clean-agent fire suppression system to protect the most priceless items.
First Troop Philadelphia City Cavalry
Historically Sensitive Renovations
RACP Funding Sources
Phased Documentation and Construction
Planning & Programming