The Queen Theater started life as the grand Clayton House Hotel in the 1870’s, was converted to a movie theater in 1916 during the golden age of cinema, then sat dormant after its last screening in 1957.The building was was slowly deteriorating at the corner of Market Street and 5th Street in Wilmington for many years, ripe for demolition.
Instead, the community came together with the city, developers, World Cafe Live, and donors to preserve the Queen and create a catalyst for the revitalization of downtown Wilmington. With the help of historic tax credits, a large scale renovation by the architects of the Homsey Studio at Tevebaugh Architecture breathed new life to the building as a contemporary live music venue.
AIA Delaware | Honor Award for Design Excellence | 2011
Preservation Alliance for Greater Philadelphia | Grand Jury Award | 2012